March 23, 2012

How To Soothe A Teething Baby

Your baby is screaming!

She's not tired. She's not hungry. She has a clean diaper. She's not thirsty... sick... itchy... scratchy... She is one healthy, well cared for baby girl. WHAT IS GOING ON?

Through all this crabbiness & pain your baby's first tooth finally cut through!! Oh... This is why she was screaming... Duh?! 

Finally at eight months my Miss A has one little tooth on her bottom gums! No wonder she was being a little crabby butt lately. It's painful!

Let me share with you some of the ways we help to soothe her little baby gums.

Haha.. this is too funny!
Patience is the first key to comforting your baby. While I don't have a lot of it... I struggled to find a little more during this rough time for my baby. It was necessary to repeatedly tell myself why my baby was crying more frequently... that way I could give sympathy for my little one who is in pain and can't help but cry out. 

I fill Munchkin Food Nets (post) with ice cubes and frozen fruits. Awesome, natural, and instant cure! We bought a bag of frozen peaches and let her drool all over it happily.

I also put ice water in her sippy cup with a bib... She is messy and usually soaks her clothes but it's great because it stops her from yelling.

I tend to forget to put Miss A's teethers in the refrigerator but they work wonders! She only uses hers at room temperature, but they are still somewhat soothing. I definitely recommend using those. After all, you can't walk down a baby aisle without finding an endless teething selection. Find some bright colored ones! ;)

You can also use Baby Orajel, which is a cherry flavored teething pain medicine recommended by Miss A's pediatrician. It seems to soothe her gums pretty well. She also likes the taste and is happy when I rub her gums with the gel.

If worse comes to worst, you can always give Baby Tylenol. (Always ask your baby's  pediatrician...) This helps the pain within about twenty minutes. I try to make this my last resort... just because it's always better to cure your problems without medicine if possible. 

She loves her Nuby
    If you don't know whether your baby is teething or not... just watch out for high levels of fussiness & DROOL. If you see the excessive drool, be on the lookout for TEETH! They are bound to come soon. And for those of you still breastfeeding... beware! ;)
    [No offense... I wish I was still breastfeeding!]

    3 comments:

    1. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment on my blog. All the positive feedback helps me heal! You look like wonderful new mother and I'm so glad to have met you!
      xo
      Sharon

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I'm happy to follow back and support your wonderful blog for new moms :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. What great info here. With a 6 month old, I'm seeing lots of drool, but no teeth yet...happily following your blog!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for reading!
    xx Monica xx

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...